Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Southern Baptist observes Lent

I have been a Southern Baptist most all my life and Southern Baptist traditionally do not observe Lent. So, I have never observed Lent. I've never been part of an Ash Wednesday service and I have never given up anything for these 40 days prior to Resurrection Sunday (that's Easter to all you laymen). I remember the first time I saw a man with ash on his forehead in college. Nearly made a fool of myself until one of my professors bailed me out (thank you Dr. Sansom, that's one more thing I'm indebted to you for). My point is that Lent has never meant anything to me other than it being the time that Catholics don't eat something and, well, I happen to like eating what they give up. Just another point in the protestant column as far as I was concerned.

Over the past several years I've begun to realize that there just might be some merit in various religious traditions. Often, if observed correctly, they can have much spiritual value to them. For example, I'm not a Jew, but I love celebrating Passover. There is so much to learn from this tradition. So much that speaks to us about God being the Deliverer. I've been known to add the observance of Advent into our Christmas traditions. Again, a tradition that isn't emphasized in Southern Baptist circles but never the less is one that can be very helpful in focusing on the true meaning of the Christmas season.

So, here we are at Lent. Over the past several years I have considered observing Lent in one way or another. To be honest, about the only thing I really knew about Lent was the act of giving something up. For some reason, I hear a lot of people giving up chocolate. I didn't realize that chocolate was such a vital part of life. Of course, you have people giving up meat, or caffeine, or something that they spend their money on regularly that they will then give the money they save to a charity. All of this is fine and well and I understand it all to a degree. For me though, it all seemed to be missing something. In many ways, it seemed that people were giving up things that, in all honesty, they needed to be giving up anyway. They were just using the motivation of Lent to help them do it. It's as if one was saying, "I need to lose weight and so I'll give up sweets for Lent. I'll kill 2 birds with one stone." Somehow connecting your weight loss with a religious motive is suppose to help.

For me though, I just wasn't getting it. I thought the idea was not so much to give something up but to get closer to God? To use the time and the circumstance you find yourself in by giving something up to become more aware of Christ? To prepare our hearts and minds to grieve at His suffering and to rejoice at His glory in the resurrection? I didn't think that this was simply a time to try to relieve ourselves of a bad habit that I wasn't able to get rid of a month and a half earlier when I made a New Year's resolution.

So this is my plan, and I intend to write about, so that people following along can help me be accountable just as they were in my adoption blog (www.raymersadoption.blogspot.com) when I was going through my "Great Coffee Experiment." I have put a great deal of thought into what would perhaps benefit me in growing closer to God at this stage in my life. I came to the conclusion that I need to read Scripture. Now, this may sound funny coming from a preacher but many preachers will understand. It is a danger in a preacher's line of work that because we spend so much time studying for the next sermon or the next lesson that we will be teaching that we often neglect our own time in simply reading God's Word for the sake of growing closer to Him and hearing from Him. I've been far too guilty of this lately. So, for the next 40 days of Lent I am going to read a different book of the Bible each day. Obviously, I will have some days where I may read a book like Philemon. Then there will be days where I'll read Jeremiah. I haven't decided what exactly I'll read other than I do plan to read all 4 Gospels. Today I am reading Mark. Throughout this time I plan to blog about my journey and whatever experiences that may come. I hope you will join me.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Hey there. This recovering Southern Baptist loves Lent. And I love blowing the youth I work with's minds by asking them not "what did you give up for Lent", but "what practice (or discipline) did you take up?" I applaud you in the practice you have taken up. I understand your need. I'm aiming to make it through Luke and Acts during this Lent. I'll be reading and praying with you on this road to Jerusalem.

and just for kicks, check this out:

http://www.bustedhalo.com/features/fast-pray-give-2010/

the tag line is "Lent has nothing to do with chocolate." Thought you might appreciate that.

Melodie said...

As a life-long Catholic, I can tell you that you are absolutely correct in that Lent is truly a time to grow closer to God and to prepare for Jesus' resurrection. I think that people who don't take that very seriously are the ones who are giving up chocolate, or cake, or whatever frivolous item that they can just easily give up, so that they can say they are observing Lent without having to put much effort into it.

Personally, while I have given up caffeine for Lent, I am also trying to give up negative thoughts, gossiping, and judging others. Those are the ones that really count.

Anonymous said...

I've known other thoughtful people who've given up or taken up other practices for Lent. Our pastor gave up listening to radio news one year (he's something of a world news junkie, having lived for awhile in the middle east) and solemnity another year. And he encourages people to consider Lent sacrifices for similar reasons. Lenten practices have been a mystery to me, but one religious ritual that has appeal.
-Deandra

Anonymous said...

I have never understood giving up something or taking on a new practice just for the Lenten season. If God leads me to something I should give up then I should give it up FOREVER (to the best of my imperfect human ability and with God's help). If God leads me to a new practice or discipline, then with His help I will try and continue that practice FOREVER.
Just a thought.