Friday, February 19, 2010

Lent and Tiger Woods - Day 3

For my reading today I chose the book of Colossians. It should be understood that during this process I have no reading plan. Other than a desire to read all 4 Gospels during Lent, for my 36 other reading selections I am randomly choosing which book to read when I sit down to read. I chose Colossians this morning because I had a Dallas Willard book nearby and I know that Dallas really enjoys Colossians 3. I know this doesn't sound very spiritual but it's what happened.

Anyway, prior to reading Colossians, I actually watched the big speech today by Tiger Woods. Now, I don't think I need to go into detail about what Tiger has done or what he said in his speech. I'm sure by now you know what he did and much of what he said today. I'm sure that you have said something about it or will say something about. As a preacher I almost fill compelled to address. After all, shouldn't I use this opportunity to address faithfulness in marriage, the sin of adultery, or perhaps even fatherhood and being a good role model? I could do that I suppose and maybe I still will. However, if I do use this very public downfall of a man as an illustration of some sort I pray that I'll remember the words I read today:

"Walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of the time. Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person." Colossians 4:5-6.

No comments: