Monday, August 26, 2013

The Church - A Zac Brown Band "Chicken Fried" Party?



On my last post I wrote about looking at the church as a teaching hospital.  Today, I thought I’d share another way in which I often think about the church.  

Sometimes I look at the church as a big backyard party.  Specifically, I think of it as one of those parties best captured by the Zac Brown Band in “Chicken Fried.”  If you don’t know that reference or you'd just like to hear the song again you can see the video here: Zac Brown Band "Chicken Fried".  Yep, that’s how I see the church.  Good friends just hanging out, eating some chicken, enjoying a cold beer, and giving thanks to God for this wonderful life.  Now, this is not an exclusive event.  Everyone is invited.  To be sure, no one at this party has “it all” and even if they did no one would really care.  Everyone here knows that everyone else has baggage, has a background, and has heartache.  Everyone here also knows that this is a safe place where all that is expected of you is to enjoy the GRACE and hospitality of the host.  Come Monday morning the party might be over and people will be heading back to work but they’ll be smiling as they remember the party and their friends.  They’ll want to invite their co-workers to join them for the next one.  The joy of that party, the fellowship and the friendships, they will carry with them throughout the week.  And the grace that was offered to them by the host of the party will be shared by all to all who has need.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I think I’m going to go get some fried chicken. In the meantime, I'd still love to hear your own little illustrations and metaphors for the church.  

Thank you and God bless.

No comments: