Wednesday, September 05, 2012

What do I say?

When faced with the task of trying to get others to sponsor a child through Compassion International the task can seem rather daunting.  After all, you are asking people to do something that they are not generally inclined to do - part with their money.  More specifically you are asking them to part with their money for what may seem to be no return.  At the end of this transaction you want be handed a plastic bag full of stuff for you to take home and watch, listen to, wear, or eat.  The most tangible item that you will receive are letters from your child. 

So then when it comes to asking people to sponsor a child the question becomes, what exactly do I say that will convince someone to, at the very least, look at the children who need sponsored? This is then followed by more questions:  Do I appeal to your desire to help one less fortunate?  Do I try the ol' guilt trip?  Perhaps I should offer stories of the lives that have been changed by sponsorship?  Do I speak about Compassion's integrity and their consistently high ranking as a charitable organization?  Do I begin to quote the many scriptures that speak to helping the poor?  Do I talk about the change it will make in your life as you form a relationship with your child and watch them grow?  Maybe I should talk about the opportunity sponsorship gives for you to teach your children the values of caring for others, sacrifice, and of sharing Christ?  Maybe I need to speak to all of these issues.  But right now all I can really think to do is to beg for you to change the life of a child in poverty and to plead with you to at least go and take a look at some of the children in need.

Please go to Sponsor a Child and read about the children who need your help.  Take time to pray for them and allow for God to direct your heart to sponsor one of these precious children.

Thank you and God bless.
- John



No comments: