Thursday, October 14, 2010

Reaching the World One Coloring Book at a Time

I received an email today from my father.  He had recently been on a mission trip to Brazil with Christian Missions Unlimited.  He takes a week every year to go there and help build a church.  A couple of years ago I started sending with him coloring books that I'd put together using coloring pages I found online.  When the books are put together they tell the story of Christ in Portuguese (the language they speak in Brazil). 

In the email Dad sent he had attached a couple of pictures from his most recent trip.  In one of the pictures it shows the line of kids standing outside the new church building waiting to receive the coloring books.  Tears came to my eyes as I realized that each kid was not just getting some coloring book but that they were getting a book that told the Gospel.  There is always in me a deep desire for world missions.  And admittedly there is always a deep frustration that I can't go more often.  Yet, here with a simple coloring book I was able to participate in the mission work being done thousands of miles away, in a different country and in a different language.

To be honest, I put those coloring books together just because I thought it would be something nice to do.  I know the children who are ministered to on these mission trips have nothing and that they appreciate something as simple as homemade coloring books.  However, seeing the picture of the kids lined up to receive this coloring book changes things.  I know that as they look through it they will read about the Christ who died for them and lives again.  Now I find myself praying for these kids.  Now, I'm connected to a group of kids who I have only seen in a photograph.  Now, I need to make some more coloring books.

1 comment:

Jodes and Boz said...

That is so incredible!