Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Hey Jude - Days 5

This journey through Lent has certainly proved interesting and the first week isn't even over. One interesting aspect has been my choice of what books to read. Yesterday I read the book of Jude. I chose this book merely because I mentioned it in my previous post and had it on my mind. I also read it because it's Jude. I mean Jude isn't the book that you often hear someone quote their life verse from. I don't believe I've ever seen anyone holding up a poster board at a football game with "Jude 20" written on it. I suspect a good many church goers don't know where to find the book and many would probably begin in the Old Testament. I don't recall ever hearing a sermon from the book (although, after some thought I do believe I preached out of it once on a Sunday evening service - and any good Southern Baptist will tell you that that really doesn't count). Let's just be honest, Jude is a strange, little book. In just a few paragraphs there are a number of references to obscure Old Testament passages and even one reference to an apparently long lost Jewish story featuring the archangel Michael arguing with the devil over Moses' body. It's a book that, if one isn't careful, they can easily miss what is being said by getting lost in the details of the illustrations. In the end, Jude, in my humble opinion, is about contending for the faith. In doing so Jude makes it clear that we must be aware of those who infiltrate the church with false teaching but his main point is one of encouragement to believers. As Jude writes:

"But you, beloved, build yourselves up in your most holy faith; pray in the
Holy Spirit; keep yourselves in the Love of God, waiting for the mercy
of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life."

Reading Jude is a reminder that all Scripture is God-breathed. I'd like to encourage you to take some time to read some Scripture that perhaps you have personally neglected. There just may be something there that you need to hear.

No comments: